Constipation is not a disease, but those who are constipated are extremely uncomfortable and not happy with their quality of life. This affects women, children and elderly. It can also cause stress, low moods, fatigue and weight gain.
When food remains for a long time in the intestine, the toxins or harmful substances are absorbed by the body, causing gas, bloating and infections. One is also tired and lethargic because of lack of essential nutrients and very often some people gain weight.
The toxins in the body cause skin problems and can also negatively impact the immune system. In this article, we will explore the causes and ways to prevent constipation.
The main reasons for constipation are:
- Lack of physical activity: When we are not physically active, the digestive process might become sluggish leading to slower digestion and bowel movements.
- Drinking less water: Drinking less water can contribute as water is essential for proper digestion and keep stool soft and easy to pass. When we don’t drink enough water, the stools can become hard and difficult to pass.
- Consumption of medicines and drugs: Constipation can be a typical side effect of certain medications and over the counter drugs. This can slow down digestion and bowel movements.
- Stress: When we are stressed the body’s adrenal glands release a hormone called epinephrine, the body enters a “fight or flight” response, which can slow down digestion and bowel movements.
Best ways of overcoming constipation are:
- Consuming fibre rich foods: It is important to increase intake of fibre to prevent bloating and discomfort. You can consume fruits like apples, berries, pears and bananas and vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, sweet potatoes and carrots are high in fibre.
- Drink Water: Drinking enough water (8-10 glass) is important, it helps in preventing and alleviating constipation and keeps your intestines smooth and flexible.
- Exercise Daily: Regular physical activity, such as walking (15-20 minutes) or doing household chores and workout can help to promote healthy digestion and promote regular bowel movements.
- Consume probiotics: Eat probiotic(prebiotic) foods like Kimchi, Kambucha, yogurt and take probiotic drinks like Yakult. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that can help to promote bowel moment.
- Avoid processed food: Processed foods (Keep junk food away as much as possible) are often low in fiber and high in fat, sugar and salt, which can contribute to digestive issues.
Recently many people have started consuming probiotics which help to increase the good bacteria in the intestine, increase water content of the stool and help in easy bowel movements.
Why suffer in silence, just do the above and stay clean and healthy.
Yakult Smoothie Recipe
|1||Yakult Light bottle||2|